Tuesday, January 21, 2014

GD Diaries Part 13: It's almost over!

This post is part of a series on Gestational Diabetes. The posts were written in August - October, but are just now being published. While I was too upset and conflicted about this situation when I was first dealing with it, I want to share my experiences with other moms that may go through something similar. Check back for another installment every Tuesday! You can catch up here: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3 | Part 4 | Part 5 | Part 6 | Part 7 | Part 8 | Part 9 | Part 10 | Part 11 | Part 12

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Yesterday, I had another visit with my GD specialist. For some reason, I was really annoyed, nervous, and frustrated about this particular appointment. I purposely put this one off so there wouldn't be another 2 week span between the appointment and baby being born that they'd try to squeak another check up into. And while I knew this was one of my very last appointments, my aggravation over them really came to a head.

I became annoyed that they treated me like my OB does. They do all of the same things - check my weight, measure my belly, check for swelling, ask me the same questions. I just kind of felt like - can't my OB do this? Can't they just ask me about my sugar levels every two weeks (actually, they do) and tell me how I'm doing? Do I REALLY need to drive all the way downtown and have the EXACT same type of appointment I already have every 1-2 weeks closer to home? With the people that will deliver my baby and care for me once he's born? And this WHOLE time, my OB + the specialist haven't communicated at all. The only reports they've gotten about each other have come from my mouth. And my doctor seems to think I went somewhere else entirely to see a specialist, because they ask me about it each time and I correct them about where I'm going every time.

So anyway, the night before and the morning of, I kept running through the different scenarios of what they could say to me and how I'd react. I'm not gonna lie - I was all geared up to be snippy and short with them. It's stupid, and I'm not sure why I was feeling SO defensive and agitated by the whole thing, but I was. I fell asleep thinking about it the night before, stewed over it while I was getting ready in the morning, and vented to Matt about it the whole way there. I think I must have been preparing for the worst or something. I don't know how else to explain it.

I had a new med student for the start of my appointment, and when I first noticed this I was annoyed. I thought, oh great, here come another round of the THE SAME QUESTIONS I've already answered 10 different times. But, she was not only very nice - she was very good! There was no stumbling with the blood pressure cuff, no studdering or nervous shaky questions that sound foreign for her to be saying - nothing like that. She even kept the usually repeated questions to a minimum. She was efficient, and didn't have to take my pulse 5 times, and didn't ask me about my life-long health history. It was a nice surprise!

I ended up seeing the PA when she was done with me, and I really like her. She is friendly and jokes around, and doesn't treat you like you must have been dumb to end up in this situation (which, believe it or not, many professionals do!). I asked her a few questions about what to do moving forward - I wasn't sure, for example, when I could start eating more fruits, or what I could order when we're in the hospital, or what the plan of attack for testing would be moving forward. And she basically said - my numbers are so good that they are confident I will return to normal quickly, I can eat whatever I want in the hospital, and they don't need to see me anymore.

Uh, WHAT? I was so convinced they were going to tell me to keep at my diet even through the hospital stay (I looked at the menu I'd saved from when Henry was born and it basically limited me to salads, chicken broth, and 1/2 a banana). I figured they would come see me in the hospital, or make me travel downtown, soon after major surgery with a newborn and two toddlers in tow, just to tell me I'm fine once again. But no! Instead, I'm DONE! It's OVER!!!!!

Mostly, that is. I still have to be cautious with my sugar and carbs for the next 8 days. Baby will be born 9 days from now, and post-surgery I will officially be able to eat whatever I want!!!!

Of course, I don't plan to go crazy, and I will likely start off slow (like just adding some more types of fruits in). My eyes have really been opened to the amount of carbs we take in every day, and it's just...ridiculous. It's terrible for us, and if I'm going to spend my carb budget, I'd rather do it on something chocolatey. Am I right, ladies? ;)

(I said the same thing to my husband and he told me he'd still pick a giant bowl of spaghetti and homemade sauce over dessert. Phhhshhh. Men!)

They told me that MY doctor might test my blood sugar in the hospital once or twice during my stay just to make sure that it's lowering as time goes on. And she suggested having it tested yearly with my primary doctor. And also said it would be a good idea to take a few random tests here or there in the weeks after baby just to make I'm returning to normal as the hormones leave my system. But other than that, I'm a free woman!

It's so crazy - I was so let down and sad when I first found out, then determined to prove them wrong and handle this on my own, then proud of my accomplishments, and now it's hard to think that I can "go back". It's really wild how the mind adjusts to a new way of thinking whenever it needs/wants to. Of course, by the time you read this, I will be actively trying to shed what's left of the baby weight, and so I'm probably already onto a new diet and lifestyle phase.

As I left the office that day, I saw the doctor on my way out. He smiled at me and said, "Great job, kiddo! You did awesome. Congrats on your baby next week!"  The whole office followed suit. The nurses, the secretary, even the billing gal that had me sign my life away each time I visited. I felt like I was being awarded a trophy at the end of a big game or something. It was so fulfilling, and it was exactly how I needed this to end. This was not a death sentence. It was not the end of the world. It was HARD, and it wasn't fun, and it was frustrating and annoying. But it was do-able - so do-able that I avoided insulin, improved the health of myself and baby, and cut WAY back on our weight gain. And in terms of struggle and triumph, I gained more than I lost - that's for sure.

Our journey with GD isn't over yet, but the next time you hear from me - I should have updates to share with a newborn in my arms. Oh, he will be the best reward of all! We've been through a lot together the last few months - my little baby and me. And if you've followed us this far, thank you. Until next week ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment